Alaska school contractor mistook sealant for milk

Adozen Alaska schoolchildren were given floor sealant at breakfast this week

because the product was accidentally delivered to a food-only warehouse and then mistaken for milk, school district officials said Friday.

The Juneau School District said in a statement Friday that an investigation by multiple agencies,

including police, into the apparent mishap has revealed more information about what happened Tuesday.

The students attending a summer childcare program at Sitʼ Eeti Shaanáx̱ Glacier Valley Elementary School in Juneau were given the sealant Tuesday at breakfast

and started complaining about the taste and a burning sensation in their mouths and throats almost immediately, the school district said.

Twelve children and two adults each drank up to 3 ounces of the sealant. 

All 12 students were recovering Wednesday evening, and some had fully recovered, the district said.